A lively fishing-area with a long history
Svenska Högarna has a long history, and the island was a lively fishing area as early as the 15th century. Navigating past the shallow archipelagos around Svenska Högarna is tricky and a pilot station was built at the end of the 18th century. In 1855, a long-awaited beacon was erected, and a lighthouse with an iron tower of height 18.4 metres was built in 1874. Svenska Högarna is one of the few outer-sea locations in the Stockholm archipelago with year-round staff.
Telia has built a relay station for its mobile network on the island with a 38-metre mast, and a wind turbine has been constructed. The wind turbine is intended to be the island’s main source of power supply, while a diesel generator produces electricity when there is no wind.
Two families live on the island throughout the year and work both as rangers for the Foundation and as weather observers for the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute (SMHI).