The world’s first revolving lighthouse
Since time immemorial, boats travelling to northern Sweden have travelled along boating routes in the inner archipelago, past Öregrund and northwards, using Örskär as their landmark. In 1769, the world’s first revolving light was installed in the high stone tower.
Örskär was probably a very lonely place to live. According to the census register, only a lighthouse-keeper and his wife lived here in 1800. During the 19th century, however, Örskär grew into a lively archipelago community. After the Väddö channel had been completed in the 1820s, Örskär became a pilot station in 1830.