Inhabited since the 16th century
Nämdö has a long history, and eight farmers were registered on the island as long ago as the 16th century. Today, Nämdö is home to Östanvik gård, the largest farm in the archipelago. Around 100 people live permanently on Nämdö and the surrounding islands.
The Russians burnt down almost all of the buildings on Nämdö in 1719. Östanvik gård was reconstructed south of its former location, and some of the 18th century houses can still be seen today.