Important for navigation
Öja’s strategic position for northbound traffic has always been important for navigation. During the Middle Ages, boats looked for landmarks and cairns. Knowledge of beacons came late to Sweden. The first lighthouse was built from granite in 1678, with metre-thick walls. The Russians burnt down all the houses on the island in 1719. The present buildings in Landsort were built during the late 19th century.