Old fishing ground and important lighthouse station
Fishermen were accustomed to following rules and Sweden’s first harbour regulations were drawn up as early as 1450. The Russians destroyed the entire fishing area in 1719, but it was later reconstructed, as was the chapel. A new epoch began in the 19th century when Huvudskär became a lighthouse station with customs and pilot staff, and larger houses were built for year-round dwelling. The pilot station was withdrawn in 1942. In 1972, the islands became nature reserves and the Archipelago Foundation took over all the islands except for Ålandsskär.