A relit queen of the Baltic sea
A high wooden cairn was built here as early as the 17th century, while a granite and sandstone lighthouse was built in 1770. Three families lived on Grönskär throughout the year to take care of the lighthouse. They were the families of the chief lighthouse keeper, the lighthouse keeper and the lighthouse keeper’s assistant. The Grönskär lighthouse was extinguished in 1961. A lighthouse was needed in another position because the speed of freighters and passenger boats had increased. A caisson light, Revengegrundet, took over. The lighthouse was completely renovated in the mid-1990s, and relit in the autumn of 2000.
In the summer of 2016 (june-september) the lighthouse is closed to visitors because of extensive renovation.