The first director of the Nobel Foundation built the house that is now a restaurant.
Grinda has been inhabited since the Middle Ages. The first director of the Nobel Foundation, Henrik Santesson, bought the island in 1906 and built a beautiful Art Nouveau house in stone. In 1944, Grinda was sold to Stockholm City to give Stockholmers a new recreational area. Cottages and a campsite were built, and former military barracks were converted into a summer camp for girls.
The city of Stockholm handed over the island to the Archipelago Foundation in 1998. The beautiful stone house that was formerly a guesthouse and children’s summer camp became Grinda Wärdshus with restaurant and conference facilities.