Utö kvarn

The windmill on Utö was built in 1791, and has long served both as a symbol and a navigation mark for Utö. The island’s farmers ground their grain here right up until 1927. A campaign was launched to save the windmill when the Archipelago Foundation bought northern Utö in 1973, and the restoration work, including the interior, was completed in 1982. Windmill sails have a limited lifespan, and in 2004 it was once again time to replace the seven-metre long sails after an autumn storm had finished off the old ones.