A navigation aid marked the approach to the archipelago (Öregrundsgrepen) and inshore waters around Stockholm for many years. A wooden beacon was replaced in 1738 by this magnificent lighthouse, designed by palace architect Carl Hårleman. The lighthouse is of great historical value due to its architecture. The former lighthouse-keeper accommodation is now a hostel. The Foundation does not own Örskär lighthouse, but it is responsible for maintaining the area and conducting tours of the lighthouse.